Mumbai Metro - Giving Imagica a Run for its Money.

Choose Mumbai Metro before you head to Imagica!


Last week I had a daunting task to achieve. I had a show at Imax, Wadala at 7pm and I had to reach there from a distant land known as Andheri (Eastttt). I had finished my work by 5pm and had to try and reach for the show on time because I did not want to miss the artificial hysteria around Transformers 3D.

After all permutations in my mind, only clear winner for my travel was Mumbai Metro! Then ensued the most adventurous trip that I have ever had reaching a movie theater. Walking down from Andheri Subway to finding the Metro was an easy task (Auto rickshaw drivers snubbed be for asking them for such a short ride).

Having figured out how to enter the way up into the Reliance created monolith , I guessed my trip to imax was simplified beyond my imagination. Thinking that was the dumbest thing I have done in recent times. After entering the Metro I stood standstill viewing the magnanimous crowd at its tip, each person grinning away to glory as a kid would standing outside a water park. It had more security guards and commando uniformed personnel than I had seen in Kargil two years back.

After being able to stand firm amidst the pandemonium, the next target was to buy a ticket ! But the queue for buying a ticket was as big as the Metro train itself. Took me around 30 minutes to get my one way ticket to Ghatkopar. Now I had a thought that the toughest task was completed. But what followed was an adventurous run towards my most thrilling public transport ride. Post buying the ticket, there was a mini security check with bag screenings etc. Then took some time amidst the crowd to find a board pointing an arrow up mentioning Ghatkopar. There was no place on the platform for people to stand as a Metro had just arrived from Ghatkopar. So, everyone was made to stand in yet another queue which was to get onto the escalator. People around had unmatched frenzy as many of them were excited to get onto the escalator for the first time and the kids alongwith them mumbling and jumbling with superlative mirth. Some women needed best of three tries to get onto the escalator, and because of this feat of theirs the queue just got longer.

The ticket that day was subsidized at Rs.20 Return and children below some level of height were entered free ( Like Seriously? ). I had a reminiscence of my Fantasy Land days as I got onto the escalator to reach the platform. Still i was not inside the metro, 40 minutes had elapsed almost a feeling of waiting since 'eons'. Then another level of security to guide Mumbaikars inside the Metro because the doors were automatic and most people still bewildered at the idea of enclosed door travelling. Now the major event was about to begin, the metro entered the platform *drumroll*. Crowds and family now had a big thrill on their faces with everyone ready to click with their Smart phones, one of the most important events of their lives - ' The arriving of a metro train' ( What could have been a bigger event than this? ).

After managing to settle down inside the Metro ( Actually settle up, with the crowd around could not even see the people sitting on the sidelines). I heaved a sigh of relief that my destination is just 20 minutes away and all the turbulence is about to end. But there was more mud in the quagmire. The soothing Air Conditioner which was installed within the metro to lure the passengers, was doing a great job transforming the enchanting human sweat fragrance all across the coach with sublime glory. With such supreme fragrance it was a task to stand still, but still possible.

Twenty minutes were up and finally the station was here! Alasss! I expected everyone remaining to get down at the last station, but was shocked to observe that half the audience refused to get down as they were here to enjoy the ride on the enigmatic metro and so bidding the co-passengers adieu, I headed to exit to be able to reach Imax on time. The exit had a different story as well but I would want you all to travel through the Metro to know the climax! I realised after all the adventure, I was still far away from my final destination Imax! Post the exit I headed to Eastern Express Highway where my friend was supposed to spot me on the excruciatingly busy road which he somehow managed to do after some muddling wandering and we headed to catch the movie, phew !





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gleeful Goshaini !

The Punk in the Paneeeer

Remembering Lofoten